PG County’s ‘My Home’ Program
Prince George’s County’s Department of Housing and Community Development (DCHD) offers the My Home $0 down and closing costs assistance program, with the goal of increasing affordable home ownership for lower and middle incomes throughout the County.
This program is very accessible to those wishing to purchase a home in PG County and strives to eliminate the largest obstacle to home buying – the down payment.
DCHC’s My Home program is built around a forgivable Down Payment Assistance Loan (DPAL) that does not have to be paid back. This is essentially “free money” – the Down Payment Loan’s balance due reduces by 10% each year for a term of 10 years, ending in a zero balance due.
Here’s what you will need in order to potentially use the My Home Down Payment Assistance Loans:
- You must earn UNDER 80% of the area Household Median Income for a household of your size
- Income limits increase due to the size of your household
- All of Prince George’s County is eligible
- You must work with a Real Estate Agent to help find & purchase a property, and must use a My Home Approved Lender in order to receive funds
- Any residential property is eligible, including Short Sales, Foreclosures and New Homes. There are special considerations for Foreclosure properties purchased within this program
- You may ‘borrow’ up to 5% of the home’s purchase price for the down payment and closing costs. Homes must be priced under $295,000 for resales and $370,000 for new construction.
- As the Buyer, you must be able to contribute 1.75% of the Purchase Price OR 50% of your liquid assets over $3,000 to Closing Costs (whichever is greater).